Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fat Friday


Nope, it's not the hottest new series on IFC, it's my life. *said with a smirk and a smile*

So Thursday mid-morning, right around my 10:30 feeding, I get this fabulous idea ... since this is basically going to be my last weekend of the "off season", let's send it out with a BANG! I am declaring tomorrow FAT FRIDAY!!

I had this genius plan to eat all of the forbidden fruits of a true athlete - I would stop at Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast, go to Houlihan's for lunch and order a cheese burger and fries, and finish with pizza for dinner! On second thought, the donuts are probably enough to put the FAT in Fat Friday. Gawd, I'm smart!!

I ended up having a total of three donuts and three donut holes scattered throughout the day. I had to keep eating sugar to keep the sugar crash at bay. Come lunch time, I felt disgusting. Less fat than just ... kinda hung over. No dehydration, but certainly a headache and stomach ache. And this feeling was what compelled me to buy pretzels and raisins to hand out to the trick-or-treaters on Sunday night/Halloween.

Saturday morning: Boss Cross 3. Last cross race of the year for me because Tuesday is back to SBR! SBR!! Course wasn't as "fun" as some of the others but it was pretty. Nice little park in a residential neighborhood up north with lots of SAND!!! Sand sucks the life out of you more than any other obstacle. I would much rather do barriers down a 15% off camber muddy slope than run sand. Ahh well.


Photo: Philip Wilkerson

Only eight in the WC4 race and I was in 3rd right of the bat. My starts have been awesome -I'm always out in front! Then I played cat and mouse for 2nd with the leader's jersey/Wonder Woman. I was doing pretty well until ... I wasn't. I went down hard on a sharp turn. So hard that it put my front wheel out of true ... or the brake was stuck ... I don't know. Thankfully, the pit was not far away and Berning (teammate) was there to help me fix the problem!! Of course, by then I was down, down, down to ... I don't know what place. I only had one lap to go so I thought, "just ride it in". I must have gotten a concussion when I went down because somewhere mid-lap on the final lap I went the wrong way????

As in I was going the wrong direction???

Where am I?

It was too difficult to correct, so I pulled myself out and called it a day. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my shoe came off in the sand pit and I missed remounting my bike by about 4 inches ... all after the fall. I told you I went down HARD!

A special someone reminded me that I couldn't get too down about the results as I had already professed that I wasn't going to take racing cross seriously and I never practiced. Ha! Ha! Oh yeah, I guess that's true.

Um' what else?

Saturday night was date night with RDJr. Chili, cornbread muffins, hot apple cider, pumpkin carving and Children of the Corn (the original) and 1/2 of Amityville Horror (the remake). We had carved pumpkins a couple weeks earlier with some fun stencils but I forgot them when it really mattered (the night before Halloween) so we got creative and came up with some jolly lanterns.


Howl at the Moon


Haunted House


Goofy Guys

It's now 8:30 on Halloween night. I'm sitting in the dark in my office in the back of the house. The first of the munchkins came by at 6:30. By 7:15, I was all out of pretzels and raisins. Guess that wasn't such a bad idea after all - especially when a little Jayhawk exclaimed with glee to her parents, "You guys, she gave me pretzels!!" Score one against childhood obesity!

No comments:

Post a Comment