Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Where in the world is Flossy??

The last couple months have been a whirlwind of activity and with my final tri of the season behind me, things are finally winding down.

So yeah ... WIN for KC Sprint Triathlon (WIN stands for Women's Intersport Network) was a couple weeks ago and I had high hopes and ambitious goals for this race. I love this race!!! The venue is great, course is super flat and the volunteers are amazing!

The Aubs, and the rest of the Boulevard crew were volunteering that morning so I rode out with her. She had a three hour ride on the books, so we planned to drive out together with her car and both bikes on the hitch-mounted rack, and after the race, she would ride home and I would drive home. At 4 am, we load the bikes up and Aubree is very adamant about showing me exactly how to rack the bike:

"You have to get the bolt really tight, Andrea. Really, really tight! See how I'm doing this? You want it so tight that it hurts your fingers and you can't turn it anymore. Really, really, tight!"

Pull out of the driveway ... la la la... 45 minutes later, we arrive at the lake and are looking for parking. Aubs rolls down the window to look for a volunteer to ask where we should park and then ... well, the conversation kinda went like this:

"do you hear that? it sounds like I have a flat tire"
"huh?"
"it sounds like I have a flat"
"hmm? really? no ... I don't think ... OH MY GOD AUBREE - MY BIKE IS NOT ON THE CAR!!!"

My heart sank. I thought for sure it was in a million carbon pieces in the middle of Hwy 169. Luckily, we had only drug it behind the car!! It was still attached!!! I was missing half my saddle, an aero pad, and a front brake cable but it was still ride-able. I WOULD STILL RACE!!


Yada, yada, yada ... I had the best bike split EVER. EVER. EVER! Of course, borrowing Aubs fancy Eastons with the sexy Challenge tires, and Teri's aero helmet, probably helped too.

And with a, "that's what you get for focusing on boys instead of training/racing", I missed my goal time but still managed an AG podium and a 1-minute PR. Boo-yah! Not a bad way to wrap up the season. My teammate and pal, Ashleigh, took 3rd overall! Go Ash!

I don't have any photos from the race, but you can go here and enter my bib number (284) to see some of the comedy that is me hamming it up for the camera.

Later that night we celebrated my birthday with dinner at R Bar followed by cocktails at Harry's Bar and Tables. It was one of the best days/nights of the summer!!

So um... yeah ...

It's August.
It's hotter than Hades.
The locusts are deafening.
My friends have finally started their taper for IM Louisville.
My man heads back to school next week.
Summer is almost over.

Honestly, I'm ready for it to be over. Ahhhh, fall. I love you fall. If I love masters in the summer, I love running in the fall.

Fall 5 and 10Ks.
Cyclocross.
Bob's 47!!
Long rides with no real purpose or destination.
Awesome concerts (Walkmen, The National)
My hair will no longer looks like a rats nest!
My skin will no longer look like a pizza!!

That's about it. Not sure how much you will hear from me in the coming months. You know me. Oh, I'll probably post something about how awesome IM Louisville was and how I will be even further convinced that Ironman is NOT FOR ME!!! And you can probably count on some comical posts on how CX racing and I are the perfect mismatched couple... and how I missed my calling with trail running/racing ...

Thanks for stopping by and stay classy!

3 comments:

  1. Heck, forget buying carbon fiber everything! Just drag your bike for a while to reduce its weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...that's a first in my book! Never heard of that happening but it kinda made your bike look badass tough! And I love me some Boulevard when I can find it here in CO!

    ReplyDelete