Yesterday was a good day for me. I MET ANOTHER RACE GOAL!! The Trolley Run 4 miler is a fun run and brings out the crowds with over 10,000 registrants. The course is super fast as it's pretty much all down hill, but it also goes through my old hood so I'm really familiar with the course AND where the pain usually sets in.
I have done this race, um, I think four times and every year I keep getting better!! Love this!! I skipped on doing it last year after the marathon because, well, I knew it would be ugly slow. This year, I set a ambitious goal - FOR ME. I am still not fast but I'm getting there, slowly but surely.
I'm not going to lie - it was not easy. It HURT!! I know that at the 3 mile marker I usually start to see flashers and have to grit my teeth to just get it done already. This year, the hurt started at 2.5 and I really thought I was not going to make my goal time. I hung on, slowed the pace, and just kept telling myself to do whatever it took to finish strong. If that meant slowing a bit, so be it. FINISH STRONG. And I did just that.
Liz and I both celebrated a little because this has been a long time coming. She's writing the best workouts and I'm doing the work to the best of my ability. Wow. It's so amazing when it all comes together!!
That cute little frame that includes all my 2010 race goals is still packed away in a box, but the goals are still there - front and center - in my mind. I'll unpack them soon enough. I can't wait to check the next one off the list.
Cheers to everyone else who is starting out 2010 with personal bests, podium places, and AG wins!
YEAH!! I love that you admitted it was hard. Very few will admit that. Anything worthwhile in life IS hard.
ReplyDelete