Saturday, June 13, 2009

Race Ready


So tomorrow I'm participating in this little race called Ironman Kansas 70.3. I haven't been sharing my thoughts on racing lately in blogland and that's on purpose. One, because I learned the hard way that when you put all your eggs in one basket, and then you drop the basket, you're left with...well, broken eggs.

I know, that's so morose.

Okay so what am I expecting from this race - the first long course of the season? Well, I'm expecting it to be WET! They are calling for thunderstorms to roll in around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning and then again around 8:30 or 9:00. With any luck I will be on the bike by the time the second round rolls through and it is much harder to cancel a race when most of the field is already out on the bike. Hopefully it will just be rain and no hail or lightening.

What else am I expecting? I'm expecting to have a great swim and a fast bike. The run? Well, the run will be whatever it will be and it will not be fast. We all know that while I have been running pain free for a month and a half, that I am still lacking speed. Whatever. It will come back and at least I CAN run - and PAIN FREE! (but I'm taking some ibuprofen just in case).

There will be no PRs for this race - just a good baseline of where I'm at this year in the 70.3. There are two more 70.3s on the schedule this season and plenty of time to improve on them. In fact, the swim and the bike have already improved DRAMATICALLY! The run time is pulling my overall time down but I feel comforted by my injury excuse.

Thanks to DR, I have a sweet KCOI top to wear tomorrow. Representin' the new team!

No comments:

Post a Comment