Monday, June 13, 2011

Runnin' Down a Dream

Wow. Three races down and only two to go and then my 2011 triathlon race season will be over. It seems a little anti-climatic but that may have something to do with my decision to not go to Nationals this year.

It was a difficult decision to make with a lot of different reasons and conditions that are just not ideal. The good news is that Nationals will be held in the same place next year that they are this year - Burlington, Vermont. Right now, the plan is to try again next year and actually save some money so that I can go! I think it will be better to go next year, too, when I actually have a chance of placing top 10 instead of this year, when I would likely place top 25. Ha! Ha!

The next two races are ones I have done before - WIN for KC (sprint) at the end of July and Jackson County ("long course") in August. I had found a race in Iowa to do at the end of August in place of Nationals but then I found out it wasn't USAT sanctioned and I don't know why, but that made me nervous. I haven't done Jackson County in years ... and never the long course, so it will be somewhat new, even though it's basically the KC Tri course.

They aren't glamourous races in exotic destinations, but the goal will be the same - race to build confidence, endurance and speed.

Last week I got a some time off from training. Well, it was really supposed to be a fun week of training but - coincidentally - I had a bunch of social obligations to meet and so it worked out perfectly that I could "skip" some workouts. Tuesday night was a work event, Thursday night was my brother's birthday celebration at the new Livestrong Sporting Park and then Friday was beach volleyball with RDJr. He signed us up for a league that will last most of the summer. At first I wasn't sure about it, but it was a ton of fun and I am really looking forward to Friday nights even more now.

With this bit of down time, I've started to map out my fall training season and even consider races for next year. Crazy? Yes. I will likely do cyclocross again this year through October, take November off, and then get back to base for 2012 in December. Still sticking with short course next year, especially since RDJr. has dropped the IM-bomb a couple of times.

Hope your training and racing is going well and that you have big dreams for the future too!

1 comment:

  1. Awww bummer that it's ending so soon!!! I guess you have to pack in all the racing you can during summer when you live somewhere where it snows :) Sounds like you have lots of good plans for the time ahead though - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete