Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tasty Tuesday #3

I've been a little lazy this past week and forgot to take photos of all the tasty food I made. Last Wednesday, I posted a random update about what I was eating for lunch - leftovers. It really surprised me how many people weren't familiar with half of the things I was eating. Surprising because I thought EVERYONE ate these things!

SF wanted the recipe for Salmon with Coconut Butter wrapped in Nori, Quinoa, and Kale with Lemon.

There really isn't much too it, and I wouldn't call it a recipe. ;)

I think I stole the idea from a blog post LOOOOONG ago from one of three people ... it could have been Bree Wee, because she seems to really love seaweed ... it could have been these people who I don't know but have a crush on their So-Cali life ... but most likely it was the Cotters, but before Lindsay went gluten-free.

Anywhooo ....

To make the salmon you will need:

Salmon fillets (skin removed - VERY IMPORTANT!)
Coconut Butter (NOT coconut oil)
Sheets of Nori


Preheat oven to 375. Spray a glass baking dish with Pam or lightly brush with olive oil and set aside.

Microwave the coconut butter, still in the jar (but with lid removed) for 30 seconds on high or until it becomes smooth when stirred. To soften the nori, hold it over a gas burner on your range for a couple of seconds until it turns bright green - then WORKING QUICKLY (or the nori will become dry and stiff) place it in the baking sheet, top with salmon fillet, drizzle about 2 T. of coconut butter on the salmon, and then wrap remaining edges of nori around the fish. Continue the process for the rest of the salmon.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until salmon flakes.

That's it!

You could season the salmon with a little salt before adding the coconut butter.

What you get is a nice piece of fish with a coconutty flavor. The nori has NO flavor but can have a chewy texture. It will also attach to the skin of the fish if you don't remove it first, so be sure to do that so you don't end up throwing that part away (unless you like to eat fish skin).

I served this with a side of Quinoa, cooked in chicken stock for more flavor, and kale sauteed in olive oil and lemon juice.

This brand of Quinoa is more expensive, but it is pre-rinsed and
that is a plus if you don't have a fine mesh strainer.



Kale: Be sure to remove tough stems,
then roughly chop before adding it to the pan

Hopefully next week I'll have something a little more exciting and exotic to share. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with kale and quinoa lately. Good eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm nervous because I have an electric glass top stove and what if I don't work quickly enough?! Oh the anxiety! But I'm going to try it-it just sounds too delicious! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete