Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"It's more fun when you do things together!"

Robyn and Lazy-Eyed Villasi at the Pool

It's an inside joke between Paul and I, this quote from my uncle that I'm using as this post's title. I think Paul was washing my parent's car, or raking leaves, or something and my super-duper-uber nice uncle came out to help him and simply said, "It's more fun when you do things together." Okay, so maybe you had to be there.

Anyway... I usually train alone. Mostly because of my work or social schedule, but also because I just prefer to train alone. Hey, I pay a coach to write me a workout every day - a workout that is written just for ME. It's hard to find someone who is willing to do your workout with you at your pace, ya know?

But this past Sunday, I met Robyn at the gym for a swim and a run. Swimming with others is easy - you can physically be next to someone for the entire workout, but doing completely different things. Running on the treadmill is great too - you can chat away (or sweat, huff and puff away) right next to each other while doing two totally different workouts. I will say that it REALLY made a long Sunday afternoon at the gym FLY by and we got to catch up on all our girl gab (trouble fo' sho'!).

What else ... oh yeah, so I've been doing some crazy hard, crazy fun run workouts lately. Of course, the weather has been rather crazy awful so I'm doing most of them inside. Enter my OTHER training partner - the iPod. I admit, I'm a bad athlete and use music as a crutch to get through a tough workout. So what? Besides, it would just be pure torture to run for an hour at on the dreadmill listening to the pop-station-of-the-week at the gym ... all while staring at my frustrated/bored face in the mirror.

Here's the playlist that has been "training" with me for the last couple of runs:
  • Number 1 - Goldfrapp
  • Electric Feel - MGMT
  • Ooh La La - Goldfrapp
  • Hung Up - Madonna
  • I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
  • Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus (not proud of this one - but it does make me laugh!)
  • Pon de Replay - Rihanna
  • Stronger - Kanye West
  • Great Expectations - Gaslight Anthem (pickin' up the pace)
  • Where I Stand - Nothington
  • The '59 Sound - Gaslight Anthem
  • A Mistake - Nothington
  • Flannigan's Ball - Dropkick Murphys (you know, cuz St. Pat's was last week)
  • Neighborhood - Arcade Fire
  • Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division (cool down song)
I will always be known for my eclectic taste in music, that's for sure!!!

Oh, and because you made it this far, I'll leave you with this funny photo... yesterday it was 70 degrees out!! But the snow from Saturday had not completely melted, leaving me with a new idea for an "ice bath" - but really, just left me with a numb ass.

Yeah, not one of my brighter ideas - but it makes a funny picture!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! We talked about sitting in the snow for an ice bath, but never actually tried it. Glad you took care of that instead. :)

    ReplyDelete