What is that quote about history and moving forward…something about learning from our mistakes? Ahh, I think this is it:
“Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” – George Santayana
So I took some time to read through my blog posts from last year and I noticed a theme - negativity!! Honestly, with all the bitching and moaning and whining I did, it’s amazing that people keep coming back to read this blog.
I also went back through all of my saved e-mails from Coach Liz. I save all the special ones – race plans, feedback on race results, feedback on training, and wow – lots of emails about handling stress and emotions. Again, I’m amazed she put up with this wet blanket of a client!
But 2009 wasn’t just a difficult year for me. I know a lot of people who would really like to forget it ever happened. Good friends lost loved ones, got divorced, were laid off from work or at least had the threat of a lay off looming, suffered from injuries, or had their hearts broken.
Despite all this, I have learned more about life, relationships and humanity than any other year. And that is priceless.
Liz asked her athletes to reflect on 2009 and list out our season highlights. Mine were less about race results and more about experiences:
- Swimming in Lake Michigan with Liz, Cat and Danni
- Downers Grove Crit Nationals - I may have come in third to last in the Cat ¾ race, and it was super hard, but I am so glad I had that experience!!!
- Huge swim PR at Redman Half Iron/Long Course Nationals
- Racing cyclocross for the first time - again, no stellar results, but I had so much fun doing it!!!
I think back about all the hours of training I put in. All the sacrifices I made, all the pain and anguish, and all the heartache…and then I look at this list and I smile. It was all worth it.
Life is going to suck at times. Sometimes it’s nothing but back to back episodes of crap. It’s how we deal with it that makes us stronger and better, right?
2010 is off to a great start. I started 2010 on Monday with a BIG training block (I think all of Liz’s athletes are in the same boat – SOLIDARITY!) and if I can get through this in the dead of winter, I know I can get through it in the blast furnace of summer.
The biggest thing I will be working on this year is my mental focus and outlook (duh). Even if my life is shit, I will work really hard to keep my life out of my training. I even got crafty and made this cute little frame to remind me EVERY DAY what I’m working towards. I’m keeping a journal and making notes and goals for the week (beyond what I log in Training Peaks) and I’m trying really hard to stick to them.
This is MY year! This year I am going to live up to my potential. I will not simply pass through space and time. I will make a mark!
It’s time for a NEW YEAR!
HELL YEAH!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis one is a lot better...
ReplyDelete"Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes."
Buddah
Thanks for the comments Eric! You're the best!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you like New Year's like I like New Year's. 2010 is going to be awesome! Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI like the optimistic attitude here, lady!!! YAY, go get'm!!!
ReplyDeleteAndrea! LOVE it.....love your 2009 recap and look forward to following you and seeing you again in 2010! :))) yahoooo
ReplyDeleteGlad you identified the problem. Solving it is the difficult task. We're not all mouth breathers. Although it is easier to gasp for air, efficient use of nitrogen and oxygen comes from rhythm. A beat in a soul that soon is forgotten when it comes to reaching the goal. Anger is the power of the dark side, but righteous rebellion is so satisfying. So in 2010 eat what feeds your soul capitalize on the gains lament for the losses and grow teeth that can easily sink into this meat.
ReplyDeleteTag, you're it.
ReplyDeletehttp://triathletebride.blogspot.com/2010/01/tagged.html