Monday, September 28, 2009

Another First

I wish I could say that yesterday's cyclocross (CX) race was amazing! That I, the person who has never ridden an off-road bike of any kind, had beginner's luck and came across the line first in the women's Cat 4 race. Instead, my teammates and friends were all entertained by the "Andrea Villasi Comedy Special - LIVE from Lenexa, KS".


If you have been a frequent visitor of this blog, you will remember that I was looking forward to trying out cross this year. You will also remember that I lacked the one crucial element that is needed to compete in a CX race - a bike. Since Paul and I are trying desperately to recover from purchasing two brand new road bikes earlier this spring (and the hundreds of $$ I have spent on tri race fees - not to mention nutrition!!!), a new - or even junker - CX bike was not in the cards for me.

And so I conceded into not racing CX this fall.

Until Thursday night - the last KCOI/BLVD women's team ride of the summer followed by dinner and margaritas. So there we are, wrapping up the night and saying our goodbyes, when all of sudden Teri asks me, "hey - you wanna race CX this weekend? you can borrow my bike". Um, sure but I don't have any MTB shoes...to which Sarah replies "you can borrow mine!" Um, yeah...but are we the same size? "YES!" Really, okay...but I've never been to a clinic and I have no idea how to mount or dismount. To which Darcey replies "I'll take you out on Saturday to practice!!"

And that's how I ended up at my first CX race - ever.

Saturday morning Darcey came by with the bike and we rode along the Trolley Trail, through the Plaza, and up to Pembroke so that we could practice on the girls field hockey field. Long story, but I had to borrow Paul's MTB shoes for our practice session - and had to wear two pairs of socks to compensate for the size difference.

We started off with dismounting drills - which were easy enough. It's just like dismounting in a tri - only you do it like a million more times. Then we moved on to mounting drills. Not too hard either - except I kept landing right on my lady bits instead of my thigh. It was about then that we got kicked off the field by security, so we went across the street to Loose Park and rode circles in the grass, dismounting, jumping over imaginary barriers, and remounting.

OMG! That is REALLY HARD!

Enter Sunday morning - race day. At the last minute, Paul had to go into work because some big client is coming to visit this week and he has to make a ton of changes on some PowerPoint. This works out fine because 1) now I get to use his shoes and don't have to share them with him and 2) now I don't have to leave at 8:30 am!

I was nervous but I also was trying to convince myself that this would simply be an exercise in survival and, above all, FUN!

So I get there, register, say hi to friends and teammates and then get ready for a warm-up lap between races. Yep. It was just as hard as I thought it would be. After that warm-up lap I knew that there was no way I could take myself seriously and I would just have to laugh through it. The course had sand, sticky-mud, two big hills, switchbacks that made my head spin, and two sets of barriers. Oh, and it was FREAKIN' hot out - 82!!!

Pretty soon it was time to line up: Masters 35+ B, Women 4, and juniors. I look behind me and thought, "all of these little kids are going to pass me on the first lap!" Everyone kept commenting on how large the women's field was - with 20 of us.

The bell/whistle blows and we're off - well, they're off - I'm trailing as I try to figure out how to clip into those stupid pedals! First loop and I'm thinking, "this isn't so bad"...until we got to the muddy burm. I got to the bottom of the first turn and there was already a pile up...so I just waited while they untangled themselves and then went on. Riding, riding, riding, and we get to the first set of barriers - which are on a hill, and I'm so confident! I've got these! I am so going to rock this - and then - KA CHUNCK! I fell face first over the first barrier. HA! HA! Everything Darcey had taught me the day before completely left my brain. I think the most hilarious moment of the race (besides falling face first into the dirt) was when I tried to mount the bike with one hand on the handlebars and one hand on the seat!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING???? :)

And then...riding, riding, riding - WITH ONE FOOT CLIPPED IN! (it had to be because the shoes were two sizes too big) and the first lap is done...SLOOOOWWWLY. I was passed by everyone and their grandmother!! Zeke kept yelling at me to "SHIFT!" and "YOU'RE NOT RIDING A SINGLE SPEED!"

I think about the second or third lap I bit it on a muddy corner. No one took me down, just lost control of the bike. Riding, riding, riding and I'm looking at my watch and I'm thinking, "I think I have one more lap - maybe? Oh God, let someone win already so I can be done with this!"

I came into the park and the last set of barriers and Darcey is there and she's shouting, "come on! you're almost there" and I yell back, "Am I? Is this my last lap? I don't have to do anymore????" It was the last lap - thank goodness!!

I rolled in and Chasm asks me, "How'd it go?" - but before I could answer, I forgot to unclip and I just fell over. There's your answer!!! IT WAS HARD!!!!

BUT IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! I completely let go of focus, competition, and, lets face it, all motor skills and it was AWESOME! I was sure I came in DFL, but I checked the results this morning and I came in 16th out of 19 finishers. This is consistent with my crit attempts this summer as well - two or three places from the bottom.

It was so great to see all my friends - the BLVD peeps, Black Sheep Brigade, Evil, SKC, Mesa, Colovita, Local Cycling...thankfully, they all laughed with me (not AT me) and congratulated me on even trying. They all told me to keep at it and come to the clinics - but I had to convince them that would have to wait until next year, when I actually have a bike of my own.

Cross really takes it out of you. Yesterday, I used muscles that I never use in triathlon! I am bruised and scratched and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to wear skirts for a week or two.

Last week was my rest week. I took the whole week off from training (except for the bike workouts Thurs, Sat. and Sun). Tonight, I'm back on the wagon. Easy run on the Trolley Trail. Should be a perfect fall evening for it.

Looking back, I've really stepped out of my comfort zone this season. It's scary but once it's over, it's over - and the experience usually has a good story to go with it. I am thankful for all of the support from my friends and teammates. I am thankful that I get to race and that I am healthy enough to do so when ever I feel like it.

Yeah, I'd say that even with the ups and downs, it's been a pretty good year.

For photos, check out Miss Beer's Flickr page.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Sounds like you had a ton of fun, and that is what CX is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job again on the race. I know you secretly LOVE cross. It's okay not to admit it at first. ;)

    I linked your blog to mine!!

    http://localcross.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just decided to try my hand @ Cyclocross....I'm just hoping I don't break my neck. Figured it would be a nice something new to try over the winter months out here in the desert!

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete