Saturday, August 22, 2009

What if?

I 'm not sure why but I've been thinking about this lately...what if I didn't do triathlons anymore? What would I do? How would my life be different?

Don't worry. I DON'T want to stop. It's just one of those things you daydream about - like what would you do if you won the lottery.

So here is my short list of how my life would change if I stopped being an athlete:
  • I would gain weight. Not a lot, probably as much as I usually do in the winter. In the summer months I'm a size 0, in the winter I can balloon up to a size 4. Believe it or not, I actually look better as a size 4 than 0.
  • I would have a much better wardrobe. What I normally spend a month on nutrition alone equals a new designer leather handbag!
  • I would drink a lot more. This is bad. Really bad. I used to have a problem - kinda. It's a good thing I'm not quiting the sport.
  • I would travel more. I guess I travel a lot for races already, but they're pretty close by - all in the midwest. If I wasn't spending a fortune on registration fees and gear, I would FINALLY take that trip to Europe, or Jamaica or Hawaii. Sigh.
  • Our yard would look 5xs better than it does now. It actually doesn't look too bad now, but it could look better. I don't mind pulling weeds or planting flowers - but the last thing I want to do after a long brick workout is spend the rest of the afternoon bent over in the hot sunshine with bugs crawling up my arms.
  • I might pick up a new sport. I've always wanted to try tennis - because of the cute little tennis skirts! Or yoga - because of the cute yoga clothes.
  • I might actually throw myself into my career. Before sport, I was career driven! I would sign up to be on volunteer planning committees, become a member of various professional organizations - all with the idea that it would boost my career. Now, I don't have any free time to spare!
  • I would probably be a lot more stressed out, and probably get pretty bored.
  • I might consider getting pregnant and having children. (GASP!)
So there you have it.

Looking at the list, it's really interesting to see the "type" of person I would become if I wasn't focused on being an athlete. It's not bad, and it's not good. It would still be me - just a slightly more suburban me.

Hmmm.

Good thing this is only a daydream!!!

2 comments:

  1. ha! this is an awesome post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it from me who is on a forced absence from the sport that life is pretty darn boring without it. I baked scones this weekend because I had nothing better to do...who am I, freakin' Betty Crocker?

    ReplyDelete